[postgis-devel] Testing on Windows PostGIS 1RC1

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Wed Sep 22 15:18:37 PDT 2010

This was an evening of regression.
I have to go to bed so I will just write some notes about the walls I ran into with head first.

 don't think anything means problem for release, but is more of my installation problems and things like that.

I succeeded compiling postgresql 9 on the other box.

Regina, I saw in configure output when configuring postgresql that it wasn't happy about the Perl version. It wanted a newer version. Can that be the reason that it didn't set the ${PERL} global. Your hack seems to work for me to but can it affect something else if the version is to low?

Anyway, I gave up to compile against postrgesql 9.0 earlier so I thought I should do some testing against 8.4 to at least success with something.

So I just compiled 1.5.2rc1 against an old postgresql84 server that I have compiled earlier.

But on that one I get the error:

could not load library "c:/pg84/lib/postgresql/postgis-1.5.dll" unknown error 126

it puts "postgresql" into the path. Why? do you have that problem Regina?

Ok, I also wanted to see more about the regression failure in ubuntu 32bit so I compiled svn branch for 1.5 and I get the same failure. instead of LINESTRING(0 0, 0 0)  I get some very small numbers on the coordinates the like 6e-15

I thought I should just put ST_SnapToGrid into it to round it a little
but since st_shortestline returns a zero-length linestring when inputed geometries intersect
st_snaptogrid then removes one of the vertexes from the linestring and returns nothing.

like:
select st_snaptogrid('LINESTRING(1 2, 1 2)'::geometry, 0.1)

So we don't get a parse error or an empty geometry, but... nothing

Maybe empty geometry would be better?

Anyway that makes st_shortestline not working very well with st_snaptogrid
Can anyone come with a better answer from st_shortestline when the two geometries intersect than a zero-length linestring in any of the intersecting points?

On other words I have spent an evening in front of monitors without doing anything at all

I give up for now.
Tell me if it is anything of above that worries and should be investigated before release then I will try to get more information on that.

/Nicklas

Regina> >My problem was already when compiling postgresql 9.0>I guess I have something outdated. I will try again now and maybe get back if I don't figure out what the error-messege is about.> >everybody> >I know I have had some regression tests failiurs on measures the other week. It is one of those small differences and it only shows for me on a ubuntu 32bit installation. On windows (on the same machine as ubuntu 32 bit) and ubuntu 64bit on another box, it passes.> >Is someone getting running the regression tests on linux 32 bit with sucess on measures?> >One thing that is a little interesting about it is that the installations that passes regression tests is the same installations that gives the fenomena in #503.> >So the installations passing the regreesion tests are the same installations as rounds the answer of area to closest multiple of 0.001953125> >I just wanted to mention it if it can be a clue for someone smart about #503> >/Nicklas