[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.0.0SVN: TIGER Geocoder and TIGER's own Primary Keys and the use of tableA.statefp = tableB.statefp: I think its' a kludge

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Dec 20 19:40:13 PST 2011

Steve,

Thanks for taking an interest in this.  Concerning some of your
observations.

1) TLID  - correct these would be duplicated in counties which is why we
don't use it as a primary key.  We were thinking of after the fact creating
a routine that would purge duplicate tlids,
but since shp2pgsql doesn't have a skip failures option, and we can't rely
on people having ogr2ogr because it doesn't ship with PostGIS, we kept it as
is.

It probably would help improve things if we made it a unique key at least.

2) The statefp being needlessly added to all tables.  There is a very good
reason for that.  The main reason is we need it there to take advantage of
constraint exclusion.
Since each set of records goes in its own table, as silly as it sounds we
need statefp in there so that tables that couldn't possibly offer results
can be skipped.

Hope that answers your questions,
Regina
http://www.postgis.us