[postgis-devel] GUC, anyone ?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Dec 21 06:11:29 PST 2011

So I've spent some time inspecting GUC, which would be a nice
thing to have in PostGIS. GUC is about doing things like:

 SET postgis.out.gml.default_prefix TO "gml"
 SET postgis.geos.exception_policy TO "null"
 SET postgis.overlay.snap_tolerance TO 0.234

Things like that.

It is likely too late for 2.0 but I thought to mention it
now as it's not really anything new. I've found a few tickets
calling for it and created a new one to serve as a general one:

 http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1393

It seems to me that the most time consuming part would be
defining what configurations we want, and started a wiki
page about that:

 http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/DevGUC

I invite anyone with "a need for config" to write down her own
directive with a description of what it should or shouldn't do.

There are a few lines for GUC handling in the new
postgis/postgis_module.c file. They are if-0'ed out but can
serve as a quick way to test the calls against multiple
PostgreSQL versions. I only tested against 8.4.

--strk;