[postgis-devel] Uninstall machinery report

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Dec 24 10:13:18 PST 2011

> "Tough". You can't uninstall a type and leave the data in
> place, the data has no meaning without the type.

Perhaps the only thing to do if we must drop cascade a postgis type is to
ensure
there are no tables using it with a dependency check.

That's my main gripe -- I may accidentally install/run upgrade postgis in a
database that already has it or in the wrong
schema os I go to uninstall it and BAM all my data is gone.

I'm guessing that is probably what the extensions model does since it won't
let you run a

DROP EXTENSION postgis;

If you have data or non-postgis extensions associated with it unless you do

DROP EXTENSION postgis CASCADE;