[postgis-devel] Vote to call Feature Freeze, SRID=0, and officially tag the first alpha

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 15:02:43 PST 2011

On 20/12/11 23:43, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> I think enough people are using PostGIS 2.0.0 that its about time to put out
> an official alpha 1 and also call feature freeze.
>
> By feature freeze, I mean anything that is not alright in our trac will have
> to wait or anything that will require anyone already running the latest
> PostGIS 2.0.0 development to do a full dump reload will also have to wait.
> The only exception is if we find a critical issue that requires us to make
> changes that require a dump reload.
>

> +1 feature freeze
> +1 SRID=0 be unknown (hey most of our code is already coded that way and
> more people are whining about how we haven't made an official decision than
> what decision we make.  I suspect many e.g GDAL have already made provisions
> for this change, and many other tools don't even work with unknown SRIDs)
> +1 tag the first official alpha

Hi everyone,

In terms of a freeze, I'm still working on fixing up the loader GUI
based upon Mark's changes. Having spent most of today on this, there is
still a good couple of days work involved to detangle various bits of
code. The main issues I am working on are:

1) Instead of passing around structures, the existing code manipulates
the GUI directly in multiple places. This makes it harder to add new
flags etc. since the logic is no longer in one place.

2) To add to 1) above, the code introduces a new FILENODE type to shadow
SHPLOADERCONFIG when in fact this should be completely removed and a
linked list of SHPLOADERCONFIGs used instead.

3) Adding dumper support.

4) Remove the large number of Gtk assertions thrown on the console
during normal operation.

I suspect it's going to take a good solid couple of days to finish off
the reworking of this section of code and get it somewhere towards a
committable state. I'd like to get this done sooner rather than later as
it will make ongoing maintenance much easier...

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk