[postgis-devel] Raster: Raster2pgsql -V option why do we need it?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Feb 12 15:21:34 PST 2011

I'm sending this as a regular note since I'm not sure it s a bug or by
design.

I transcribed the raster2pgsql switches into the manual so its documented
more or less in the same format as the shp2pgsql.

http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/RT_reference.html#RT_Loading
_Rasters

In doing so I noticed the -V option and that Jorge uses that in his examples
too.

Now that I am playing around with overviews (I think they will be important
for map rendering and also for doing fast analysis as I'm finding some of
the analysis I need to do can be made
Quadratically faster using the overview tables with minimal loss in
accuracy).  I noticed this switch:

-V, --create-raster-overviews

I'm not really clear why we need this since when you install raster support
-- it creates an empty raster_overviews table in the public schema.
Is the intention to have a separate overviews table for each schema (which
is not documented as such and also doesn't make much sense to me).

I noticed that when I did use it, it sorta solved half the problem I had
here:

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/825

In that when I switched my command to

python raster2pgsql.py -r *.jpg -V -l 2 -t aerials.boston -s 26986 -k
100x160 -F -I -o bostonaerials_overview.sql

Then it creates an overviews table in my aerials schema.

I would have preferred it didn't though since I like the idea of having all
my raster_overviews in the same table regardless of schema, and the
structure of the overviews table has an o_table_schema to support that
anyway.

Thanks,
Regina