[postgis-devel] cool thing, 3d

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Fri Jan 7 06:23:33 PST 2011

I have not found any good way to visualize 3d stuff in PostGIS. I have
tried the 3d plugin for gvSIG but no luck so far. Any advice is
welcome.

But this hackish way I have to show.

The attached picture shows shortestline and closestpoint from a point to
a polyhedralsurface in QGIS.

I rotated all geometries and opened them in QGIS and did get quite a
nice illustration with some transparency in the symbol.

That revealed bug in #755

It does of course not project the picture so the lines in front gets
longer than the ones in the back, but anyway.

Another trick involver to get the surfaces in the right order of
appearance was to order them by their max z-value. Then I get the ones
most far away in the 2d picture in the back.

see attached sql-file

/Nicklas