[postgis-devel] OGC compliant certified

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Tue Jun 7 11:40:54 PDT 2011

Ok, sorry, I was somewhat misinformed, and I should revise my earlier
statement.

PostGIS WAS certified, and was to my knowledge the reference
implementation for Simple Features for SQL types and functions profile.

Refractions has since decided that there is little value for the company
to continue to pay the annual licensing fees required by OGC in order to
maintain the right to advertise that PostGIS is certified. Annual fees,
per version of postgis, per version of specification, based on the gross
revenues of the "parent" company.

I can't help but wonder which other open source packages do continue to
pay these fees. I wonder if there is a role for OSGeo to play here, as
there is the potential to cap the overall licensing fees for a single
OGC member organization.

Regardless, the answer two your question is that both websites are
correct, as PostGIS previously was, and therefore "has been" certified
as compliant. But as the OpenGIS site is telling you, we are not
currently paying for the right to advertise that fact using the OGC's
trademarks.

Fun stuff.

Chris