[postgis-devel] Normalizing Coordinates in geometry::geography

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 00:40:14 PDT 2011

On 20/06/11 19:55, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> The casting code (or, actually the construction code) in geography
> rejects coordinates out of range of -180,-90 180,90. Some users have
> already found that annoying enough to suggest a patch.
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/799
>
> Any objections to applying it?
>
> P.

I think the basic idea is good, but I'd suggest promoting the DEBUG2 to
a WARNING, simply because if we are modifying the user's input data then
we should be polite enough to inform them. I'm primarily thinking of the
case where data is imported into PostGIS, a small edit is made and then
exported again - the user will probably end up scratching their head for
a bit trying to figure out why other points around the edge of geography
space have also changed.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS