[postgis-devel] 3D Index / 2D Index concerns

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Fri Mar 18 04:42:39 PDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> Regarding the 2D, 3D index.  You mentioned those have to be separate

If we want the 2D to perform as well as the index it is replacing, it
turns out "yes".

> I guess that means in order to implement the && (2d interacts)  vs.  &&& (3d
> interacts) --- you had have them share separate set of index creation and
> operators?

They are actually two totally different indexes on the same
serialization. The 2D index builds based on a fixed-length key and the
ND index builds based on a variable-length key.

> My main request is that we have an &&& and the 3D index version of && just
> does a 2D check.

The &&& (or whatever we like ##, @@, etc) operator will do an ND
version of the overlaps check.

> 2) Getting to the THIS IS VERY BAD issue.  I don't think our 3D checks make
> provisions for volumetric they are basically checking surface intersection.
> Nicklas can corect me if I am wrong, but I don't see how they
> Can since we can't distinguish right now between volumes and surfaces unless
> we assume all closed surfaces are volumes (which technically isn't correct).

I don't see that this is any different from the current case where the
bounds of a large irregular polygon can easily subsume the bounds of
many many many other smaller polygons nearby. It's sub-optimal, sure,
but it's not a crisis or anything.