[postgis-devel] Boxes cache and type (was: Caching Double-basedBoxes)

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Nov 25 01:41:03 PST 2011

Sorry for top posting.
There are a couple of reasons I want to punt this decision til 2.1

1) 9.2 has index only scan which will be useful for computing things like
ST_Extent and so forth, then it will be valuable for
us to have indexes that are double-precision, but Paul isn't even proposing
that so why am I even bothering with this.

http://rhaas.blogspot.com/2011/10/index-only-scans-weve-got-em.html

2) The only real reason to do this in my mind is what Paul said:
"Not really. The && operators all go through functions which force the
boxes into float space first, so both sequence scans and index
assisted runs of the operators return the same results. Important
stuff. I think there will be fewer instances of inconsistency with
this approach."

and Sandro's concern about having consistent answers regardless of function.
I question if doing double-precision is the only way
to achieve those goals.

These are all edge cases.  Yah I have come across them, but they haven't
been that big of a deal.

3) If we do this we really got to thouroughly test out the consequences of
this.  I for one do not have time
for this given all the other stuff I want/NEED to get done.

If any of you feel really strongly about having this in 2.0, then do the
work and test Paul's branch and with huge data sets not tincy one.
I ain't doing it.  I'm going to have enough discrepancies between 1.5 and
2.0 to benchmark that this will only add
noise to my tests.  Noise I don't care for.

4) strk -- there is a big difference between being prepared for and having
to.
I'm prepared to dump/reload, but it would be REALLY REALLY nice if I don't
have to.

Because I definitely will HAVE TO in 2.1 regardless of whether or not this
half-double precision thing happens in 2.0 or not
and I'm well prepared for that eventuality.

Thanks,
Regina