[postgis-devel] Caching Double-based Boxes

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Fri Nov 25 11:16:20 PST 2011

KNN is a red herring: we're not going to change the index itself off
of floats; KNN ordering on boxes is always going to be a huge
approximation anyways.

What I'm missing here is any feedback on how my experimental branch
*works*, namely, is it still fast enough?

http://svn.osgeo.org/postgis/spike/pramsey/doublebox

Without Mark here to sing the praises of double boxes, it feels like
nobody cares enough for this to move forward, except maybe strk,
though he has mostly patched up the implementation problems with boxes
not being determinstic by sticking box rounding in various locations
around the code base. Which is too bad, because I spent a day on it.
But it's a hard-to-quantify improvement. It makes some things more
clear, since the lwgeom->bbox is more consistent. It'll also make the
ST_Extent aggregate marginally faster (because ST_Extent() can use the
cached boxes without guilt).

P.