[postgis-devel] GBOXF

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Mon Nov 28 09:38:39 PST 2011

Olivier,
Since the cached double box experiment seems to be getting dropped due
to the performance loss, we're getting back to "what do we do with
cached float boxes". Sandro wants to make sure the boxes attached to
our LWGEOM instance are always consistent, which is hard when
sometimes they are double (off calculated values) and sometimes float
(off cached values). One way to ensure consistency would be to make
the GBOX actually be float (GBOXF). I recall you were very happy to
have GBOX replace BOX2FLOAT4. Was that because GBOX is higher
dimensional or because it is double based, or both? I want to know, so
I can decide whether it's OK to replace GBOX with a GBOXF.
Thanks,
Paul