[postgis-devel] GBOXF

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Nov 29 06:21:36 PST 2011

On 28/11/11 18:02, Sandro Santilli wrote:

>> I will move forward with new bbox work on the above basis, and abandon
>> the doublebox experiment.
>
> Sounds good to me.

As per my previous email, I'm not yet convinced that the tests aren't
triggering some other bug/code path causing an unusually high slowdown.
However, we're working blind until we get detailed profiling information.

> Of course a new type will still pose the "float or double" question.
> As well as it was posed (they tell me) by ST_Extent.

Indeed. My main argument for using doubles instead of floats is because
at the moment, we inflate the bounding box from double to float. This
means that we can categorically state that a point *outside* of the
float bounding box is definitely not within the real bounding box of the
geometry, but we cannot say the inverse, i.e. a point *inside* the float
bounding box may or may not within the real bounding box of the geometry.

My feeling is that if we use floats then we minimise the usefulness of
the cache because it reduces the number of use cases that it could be
used to optimise (and I'm fairly sure that some functions will assume
that the second predicate in the paragraph above is true, and therefore
give wrong answers in certain cases).

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS