[postgis-devel] Motion: vote for considering SRID <= 0 as "unknown"

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Oct 4 06:56:57 PDT 2011

Trying to get out of the impass about SRID, I'd like to split
the issue in two:

 (1) Considering SRID <= 0 as "unkwnown"
 (2) Finding a consensus about how to advertise "unknown"
     at the SQL level

I'd like to vote on (1) first.
If we agree, the parsers (all of them) would take any SRID <= 0 as
semantically equivalent to an "unknown SRID", storing NO srid in
the binary representation.

This would mean that no matter what we decide to return from ST_SRID(g)
it will be possible to get in output something different from what was
specified in input.

I'll start with my +1.