[postgis-devel] Unknown SRID (Was: #1223: Unknown SRID to NULL)

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 07:59:56 PDT 2011

On 01/10/11 00:23, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Speaking of which, another major breaking change isn't turned on yet:
> return ISO WKT and WKB in ST_AsText and ST_AsBinary.
>
> Will not affect anyone working with 2D data, but will slap upside the
> head anyone working with Z's and M's.
>
> I just worry about ruining our user base. worry!

To be honest, we saved a lot of changes for 2.0 as we knew they would
be, well, controversial to put in minor releases. Plus there is already
quite a lot there that is going to require people to test their
applications anyway.

As long as some guidelines are documented in a "Upgrading to PostGIS 2.0
from 1.0" section of the documentation, I would think most people
wouldn't mind as the changes would be mostly mechanical.

I seem to remember at the FOSS4G Code Sprint last year we agreed that as
long as we work with other projects in the OSGeo community to ensure
they are prepared for the changes in advance, this shouldn't be an
issue. And I also seem to remember in the back of mind that you
volunteered for the liason role... ;)

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS