[postgis-devel] Motion: vote for considering SRID <= 0 as "unknown"

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Oct 5 05:28:14 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 01:55:33AM -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:
> for input <= 0  we treat as unknown
>
> +1

So we have 3/5 of the votes (all +1). Mark and Paul missing.

I've a preliminary patch doing this in WKT and WKB parsers,
as a proof of concept. It fixes the topology testsuite (which
uses explicit -1 in input). It's attached. A proper patch would
include testing of the behavior from all possible inputs
(ST_SetSRID is one of them) and I think should raise a warning
if a non-official "unknown" srid number is given. Not sure how
PostGIS should handle accidental explicit presence of <=0 SRIDs
in existing data (only pre-existing data would be possible to
have such srids, and not restored from dumps).