[postgis-devel] Vote On Project Sponsorship

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Fri Sep 2 11:50:47 PDT 2011

The actual money is handled by OSGeo for us, which is great. But we do
need to have well documented votes on where and how to allocate the
money. This is the part that seems a bit worrisome to me, as well -
being that some of the most likely ways to spend the money would be to
fund some of ourselves to do work that we might have otherwise done for
"free". Additionally, it seems like there is some possibility for
contention on how the funds should be spent, I think we might need some
policy written up about how we come up with ways to spend the money and
how we decide who does the work. We would end up needing to deal with
contract management as well - what rates do we set? How do we make sure
that the work will get done to the standard we are looking for? How do
we keep track of where the "free" works ends and the "payed" work stops,
and vice versa. We can't even assign a single contract manager from
among us, as any one of us might be on the other end of the contract.

While on one hand it seems silly to complain about having to manage what
is essentially "free money", but on the other hand I also know the
resentment that can build in a community (or family even) from doing
business between members.

Here's the sort of decisions I worry about:

- what to spend money on
- who should do it
- how much it is worth
- what about the work that other people will end up doing to support  it
(building a new release, testing bugs around the issue, documenting)
- who will scrutinize the work and what authority do they have (how big
does a bug have to be in order for us to hold back payment)
- how will people feel when they do a bunch of work for free, and then a
donation comes in and somebody else gets paid to do something they view
as less important or not done to as high a standard

While "free money" sounds great, I think there are some risks to our
community, and also some additional costs to be borne by the PSC. I'd
like to give others the chance to assuage my fears but for now my vote
is +0.

Chris