[postgis-devel] liblwgeom.so

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Fri Sep 9 10:40:52 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> Paul: about GEOS/OGR it happens to me that PostGIS has additional algorithms
> that are not provided by either of the two. We could move them to GEOS but the
> cost would be discrepancy with JTS. Could we move them to OGR ?

I think we might need to make the case to that team about starting to
build out their algorithmic base, but it shouldn't be too hard. It's a
SFS library, it already does reprojection and everything GEOS
provides. Adding some extra stuff shouldn't be more than formalizing
where the code goes and where the right place to put the functionality
(methods on OGRGeometry? separate algorithm classes?) is. And as a big
benefit over liblwgeom.so, GDAL/OGR already has massive ubiquity and
use so there wouldn't be any trouble growing a user base.

P.