[postgis-devel] remote code sprint attendance

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sat Sep 10 00:26:50 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

>  >  Do you know if there's any provision to participate in the code sprint
> "in spirit"? Travel budgets were the first thing to go. I'd be interested in
> trying to help get postgis out the door if
>>  there's a way to do that without plane tickets, hotels, and per diem.
> There is always IRC, but I would prefer Skype personally. IRC is so distant
> feeling.

Skype would be the most distant device to me. I would be forced to
leave my comfortable usual place (a terminal) and grab the mouse
switching between overlapping windows. No way to use Skype from my
terminal as Skype uses a secret communication protocol which makes it
impossible to develop a friendly UI.

IRC is an open internet protocol. Old ? Maybe, as old as HTTP or SMTP.
And as free.
If you like IM-feeling tools you can no dumb get them using any open
IM agent, which surely supports IRC (being no secret...).

If the problem is you'd prefer video conference or talk conference
remember that some people have low bandwidth or low power computers
which would make any crowded communication very uncomfortable. On IRC
you can have hundreds of people w/out an hitch.

--strk;

Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer
http://strk.keybit.net/services.html