[postgis-devel] Tiger to PostGIS Topology looking much better now

aperi2007 aperi2007 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 04:34:34 PDT 2011

 >> This is mostly for loading denormalized features such as the tiger
 >>features
 >> that you know were formed from a topology.
 >> It would throw an error if the edges don't line up.

 >The ToTopoGeom I had in mind would not throw an error but rather
 >add the missing pieces in that case. That way you would not even
 >need to add the components but could simply dump in all the final
 >geoms. We may think about adding a parameter to request an error
 >rather than a silent addition.

I guess a ToTopoGeom that try to insert however in topology
is better, is always possible to remove an edge or a face from a topology.
The ISO functions will allow this, instead is not always easy to
rearrange an object to enter in an existent topology.

But the ToTopoGeom function should not try to arbitrary add any new edge.
It should only split (if necessary) the object given or gently snap some
vertex if needed and if they are under the tollerance of topology.

I guess a new object (point line, polygon) is always insertable in a
topology. The only problem could be given if it overlap another existent
edge or node. So this function should must be capable to  split the object.

Andrea.