[postgis-devel] Hey, you broke... (SRID=0)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Thu Sep 29 08:20:51 PDT 2011

Maybe a quick poll of our highest profile clients would help? FME,
Mapserver, Geoserver, Mapnik, SIS, etc. See how many use -1.

On the one hand, -1 never actually appears in a serialization, since
the EWKB flags simply note "no SRID here". On the other hand, it does
show up in GEOMETRY_COLUMNS, so it's possible external apps do look at
it fairly frequently.

One "bright side" of changing it over is that it's almost all #defined
now as SRID_UNKNOWN. Still leaves the regression tests and a few error
strings to change over, but going back to -1 won't be nearly as
painful as going to 0 was. Maybe an hours work.

P.