[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #2122: [raster] Real extent feature lost after metadata as views

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Mon Dec 3 09:13:58 PST 2012

The GDAL driver was implemented so that it does not rely on the raster_columns view to recreate a mosaic from a raster table. This makes raster table on which no constraints have been applied readable. Fast: I don't know. Fast enough probably considering the fact that it can read raster tables even if they have no constraints.

> > The original issue was that the raster file extent is lost on
> > import, and this loss is only due to padding, no ?
>
> Yes.

Let's get back to the beginning:

1) Do we need the extent to reflect the original size of the raster because:

a) It is necessary to implement optimized reading of the raster as a regularly blocked raster

or

b) Just to remember the original size of the raster

Pierre