[postgis-devel] Out-of-Range SRIDs

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Feb 10 09:28:55 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 09:08:10AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I hate trac talk.
>
> (a) what is the reserved zone for? I thought it was for my magic SRIDs
> that I use internally for _Best_SRID?

Yes, it is.

> (b) why can't we put imported large SRIDs into a working part of the table?

The large SRIDs come in forces:

 1) Table definition (enforce_srid_check)
 2) spatial_ref_sys record
 3) Actual values (COPY FROM STDIN)

With our postgis_restore.pl script we happly deal with 1 and 2.
But dealing with 3 would require an HEXWKB parser, so we're leaving
this part to the core (clamp_srid in lwutil.c).

Now, we do NOT want the core to clamp SRIDS in the reserved zone,
because otherwise your _Best_SRID magic would break. That's because
your magic uses these SRIDs in and out of serialization.

So, the problem is: how can the core know that it should clamp
the data coming from restoring a dump but not the one coming
from your magic ?

--strk;