[postgis-devel] Win32 Adventures

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Sat Feb 25 13:36:32 PST 2012

Hey all, here's a little summary of my Adventures in Windows.

I decided to try and re-work the build process using the new
mingw-get-inst package and the mingw-get utility. This allowed me to
get the "latest and greatest" packages with a minimum of fussing.  All
the build packages came down with these commands:

mingw-get install msys-bison msys-flex
mingw-get install msys-unzip msys-zip
mingw-get install msys-autoconf
mingw-get install msys-automake
mingw-get install msys-libtool
mingw-get install msys-wget
mingw-get install mingw32-gettext
mingw-get install mingw32-libiconv
mingw-get install mingw32-zlib mingw32-libz
mingw-get install mingw-utils

SVN is curiously not part of mingw-get, I guess it has too many
dependencies, so I used the commandline build from sliksvn.

In the end though, the only things I built with mingw were PostgreSQL,
CUnit, and JSON-C.

GDAL, GEOS, and Proj4 I built with Visual Studio Express 2008.

GTK+ and LibXML2 I downloaded prebuilt binaries.

I ended up assembling everything in a big /c/pgsql directory, and then
having to hand-craft config scripts for geos-config, xml2-config and
gdal-config, since the MSVC builds don't create those, but the PostGIS
build requires them.

Net result, I have a PostGIS that builds and regresses the postgis
component with the exception of *one* test (ticket #11, which I am
pretty sure traces back to the -ffloat-store flag that is usually
applied to one component of GEOS, but I betcha is not applied in the
MSVC CMake build). You'll have seen a few commits I had to do to get
run_test working and a fix to the loader. I still have a small custom
hack in my regress/Makefile.in because 'pwd -W' doesn't work on my
mingw the way folks seem to thing it should.

I feel like my big bundle of binaries could be useful for getting
folks up and running with working development environments, and might
create a set of instructions based around downloading an SDK package.

Anyhow, wanted to share the good news...

P.