[postgis-devel] Vote on Merging postgis and raster installs and when

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sun Jan 1 22:36:13 PST 2012

Do we want to do this.  We said we did at the code sptring.  Are we ready?

The main reason we had kept the installs separate is because building with
raster was much harder because of the python dependency.  Now that python is
no longer required and compiling GDAL is not that big of a deal (and in fact
something the postgis geometry/geography might find useful alter on) , can
we merge?

+1 from me

Granted I don't know how much effort is involved.  Right now the
extensions/postgis folder does have them merged

So when you do  CREATE EXTENSION postgis; or  ALTER EXTENSION postgis UPDATE
TO "2.0.0a13";

You get both postgis geometry/geography and raster support and update both
postgis geometry/geography/raster

So it's just the old way of installing postgis that is still separated.

This of course also requires that Chris works out the builbot issues with
why topology and raster aren't being tested.

Thanks,
Regina