[postgis-devel] Vote on Merging postgis and raster installs andwhen

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 02:55:28 PST 2012

On 03/01/12 19:54, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I think GDAL should be mandatory, but older GEOS should be OK (we've
> gone to the trouble of stubbing those functions for a reason,
> presumably. A configure WARNING makes sense, so at least ignorance
> won't be an excuse.
>
> P.

Hmmm but doesn't this undermine your earlier argument about keeping
everything the same? The reason I spent time making PROJ/GEOS mandatory
was because of the many issues we had stemmed from developers having
different combinations of libraries installed - so for example I could
commit a patch against PostGIS and have it pass regression without
having PROJ installed locally, whereas someone else with PROJ could have
it fail regression because it was never checked on my system.

I'd much prefer to bump the minimum version of GEOS to give both users
and developers a consistent experience rather than to keep stubbing
functions against various different versions :(

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk