[postgis-devel] Extension Versions

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sun Jan 8 22:37:03 PST 2012

Reading the HOWTO_RELEASE and looking at the versions referenced therein, I see:

in postgis.control
  default_version = '2.0.0.a14'
  module_pathname = '$libdir/postgis-2.0'

in postgis_topology.control
  default_version = '2.0.0a14'
  module_pathname = '$libdir/postgis-2.0'

So, two questions:

First, would it make sense to bring these files into the autoconf
process so they simply get the versions directly from the
Version.config file?
Second, there are two version schemes above. Could we use stick with a
three-component system, as topology.control uses?
Third (of two), are there any downsides if we push Version.config up
to 2.0.0a17 or some other nice high number and then keep on
incrementing as we push out interims?

I'd like to do all of the above it it won't destroy things.

P.