[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.0 timeline

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sun Jan 15 17:28:49 PST 2012

Matt,
We are done with known big items and at the "oh! that's important! we
should do that!" stage. We (OpenGeo) have some client funding to work
on completing the 2.0 cycle, which is keeping me and Sandro engaged in
the process. We should be able to push out alpha tarballs quite soon,
at which point testing things like upgrading and compatibility will be
very useful from the user community, as well as just plain old using
the new and old functionality. A great deal has changed under the
hood, so I fully expect there to be some growing pains as folks
transition.
A good general view of what is left can be gotten by reviewing the
tickets in the 2.0 milestone. Our goal is to get the milestone
ticket-free and then do a point-oh release. Many tickets (crashers,
blockers) will be closed, tickets about features or other non-blockers
will be deferred.
Best,
Paul