[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #1411: Remove JAR files from the repository

María Arias de Reyna marias at emergya.com
Thu Mar 15 04:49:51 PDT 2012

2012/3/15 PostGIS <trac at osgeo.org>:
> #1411: Remove JAR files from the repository
> --------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  strk    |       Owner:  delawen
>     Type:  defect  |      Status:  assigned
>
> Comment(by strk):
>
>  Let's be honest: this is not going to be done for 2.0.0 final.
>  Personally I'd just drop the whole java directory...
>
> --
> Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1411#comment:5>
> PostGIS <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/>
> The PostGIS Trac is used for bug, enhancement & task tracking, a user and developer wiki, and a view into the subversion code repository of PostGIS project.

I guess I lack the time to do it. This first half of this year is
going very hard. Probably I will fork it somewhere waiting for better
times.

Anyway: Maven is the best (and almost only painless) way to compile
and build Java. It's like make or ant, but handling Java dependencies.
All those jars you see downloading are just requirements to properly
build the components.

The ant task goes to the official repositories of Maven, download the
environment, then the dependencies, run the build and then remove all
the "trash" generated.

If you take a closer look, the former way to build the java components
was downloading manually certain jars, putting them on certain paths
and then compiling the code with ant. I just changed it so maven does
it automatically.

The most obvious dependency needed is the postgresql java driver. This
postgis driver is an extension of that driver. You cannot compile and
build the postgis driver without having the base postgresql driver
(another .jar).

I posted it here because it seems that I don't have permission to add
a comment on the tracker itself.