[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #1830: pgsql2shp fix for "XInvalid endian flag value encountered" on PostgreSQL 9.2

PostGIS trac at osgeo.org
Sun May 20 14:49:51 PDT 2012

#1830: pgsql2shp fix for "XInvalid endian flag value encountered" on PostgreSQL
9.2
  Reporter:  dfuhry2        |       Owner:  pramsey
      Type:  defect         |      Status:  reopened
 Component:  loader/dumper  |     Version:  2.0.x
Resolution:                 |    Keywords:
Changes (by mcayland):

  * priority:  medium => high
  * resolution:  fixed =>
  * status:  closed => reopened
  * component:  postgis => loader/dumper

Comment:

 NAK. This patch is broken and should be reverted because:

 1) The default switch from 'escape' to 'hex' took place in PostgreSQL 9.0,
 so I'm not yet convinced that your diagnosis pointing at PostgreSQL 9.2 is
 correct

 2) You've now broken dumping from older (< 9.0) PostgreSQL servers during
 a micro/patch revision

 The symptoms suggest that your pgsql2shp client binary is linked against a
 pre-9.0 libpq somewhere else on your system, which is why libpq can't
 successfully interpret the 'hex' encoding being received from the server
 (we use libpq's internal PQescapeBytea() function rather than doing it
 ourselves).

 In short, we need a better investigation of the problem and a revised
 patch to suit.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/1830#comment:2>
PostGIS <http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/>