[postgis-devel] Geography Coercion

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Tue Nov 13 14:24:37 PST 2012

I'd like to hear if anyone has objection to the following patch for 2.1:

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/799

Basically when accepting a geography, it forces the coordinates into
the -180/180 range by wrapping it into the appropriate place on the
globe. Currently when handed out-of-range values, we error out.

This patch will be "nicer" for most people and mortally confusing for
the very occasional person who accidentally gets their data normalized
when an error would have been more instructive (and causing them to
appropriately fix their data)

I'm in favor of it, I think it'll result is more good things and few bad things.

P.