[postgis-devel] [PostGIS] #2034: ST_3DClosestPoint with mixed dimensionality in input values

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Oct 9 00:56:02 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 03:35:38AM -0000, PostGIS wrote:
> #2034: ST_3DClosestPoint with mixed dimensionality in input values
> -------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  nicklas      |       Owner:  nicklas
>      Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
>
> Comment(by robe):
>
>  The logical place where I would think this should happen would be in one
>  of our Force functions:
>
>  http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-2.0SVN/ST_Force_3D.html
>  http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-2.0SVN/ST_Force_3DZ.html
>
>  It would be nice if those functions took an extra argument like the Z to
>  force to or something to use for interpolation.
>
>  BTW: I noticed these functions don't conform to our naming standard.
>
>  Wondering if its time to fix that and also in the process throw in an
>  extra arg that allows you to specify the Z to force to.  Seems silly it
>  just goes to 0.

It is surely time to fix the naming convention. There's a ticket for that
IIRC. I'm not sure about an additional argument. If we add one we'll also
need to add another to specify what to do in case the ordinate has already
a value (1:pick_existing 2:replace_with_given 3:set_to_average)

But it's for another ticket (or we discuss this first).

--strk;

 http://www.cartodb.com - Map, analyze and build applications with your data

                                       ~~ http://strk.keybit.net