[postgis-devel] Deprecate ST_MapAlgebraExpr and ST_MapAlgebraFct

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Oct 11 08:45:51 PDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 06:25:27AM -0700, Bborie Park wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> >> True.  But maybe they just needed a reason to get into writing their own
> >> functions.
> >
> > Could a way be found to allow for inline functions ?
> > Basically a way to accept function-or-expression as the argument
> > and convert the expression into a function internally.
> >

> Converting expressions to temporary functions are doable.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-04/msg01178.php
>
> The question then becomes, should the expression be using keywords,
> e.g. [rast1]?  Or should it look like the code one would expect in a
> function?

Since the goal is being easier on users I think it's better to keep
the keywords so nobody needs to change anything. The keywords will need
to be converted to argument references, I guess, and those args should
be choosen to make it very unlikely to clash with names used in the
expression.

--strk;

 http://www.cartodb.com - Map, analyze and build applications with your data

                                       ~~ http://strk.keybit.net