[postgis-devel] Documentation translations

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Fri Sep 14 01:05:51 PDT 2012

I've pushed an 'i18n' branch to github for testing gettext use with docbook.
Could you guys please try to pull, ./configure and run:

  $ make -C doc/ update-po

You'll need the ``poxml`` package for it to work.
It's packaged in Ubuntu 12.04 and 10.04, dunno if you have it,
nor how easy it would be to obtain it when not packaged.

The tools are part of the Kde project.

If it works, you'll have a lot of .pot files under doc/po/templates/
and .po files under doc/po/it_IT/ and doc/po/pt_BR/. The latter are
supposed to be the ones that will be edited by translators.

The part where these translations are injected back to working XML files
is still to be done, but I tought it'd would be worth putting the effort
so far out there. If not else you may take a look at the templates and
see if you think it'd be a viable solution for internationalization.

One thing I noticed, for example, is that the examples end up being
in the .po files. Maybe there's a way to avoid that as I dubt we want
to translate SQL syntax (altought it may contain comments...)

--strk;

 http://www.cartodb.com - Map, analyze and build applications with your data

                                       ~~ http://strk.keybit.net