[postgis-devel] getting out of extension ?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Sep 29 08:34:20 PDT 2012

Strk,
Okay I'm going to give away a trade secret?

This will generate the statement to drop all objects from the postgis
extension  (change word postgis to postgis_topology to do the same for
topology)
----

SELECT 'ALTER EXTENSION ' || extname || ' DROP ' || regexp_replace(
    regexp_replace(pg_catalog.pg_describe_object(d.classid, d.objid, 0),
E'cast from (.*) to (.*)', E'cast\(\\1 as \\2\)'),
    E'(.*) for access method (.*)', E'\\1 using \\2') || ';' AS sqladd
FROM pg_catalog.pg_depend AS d
INNER JOIN pg_extension AS e ON (d.refobjid = e.oid)
WHERE d.refclassid = 'pg_catalog.pg_extension'::pg_catalog.regclass
AND deptype = 'e' AND e.extname = 'postgis'
ORDER BY sqladd;

Once you run that, you can safely do

DROP EXTENSION postgis;

And then upgrade as usual.

Note: If you have postgis_topology installed, you'll have to first do the
same for postgis_topology before you can drop postgis.

This script is in extensions/make_unpackaged.sql

It's exactly like repackaging as you can see except for packaging an
unpackaged postgis you have the word "ADD" instead of "DROP".

Regina