[postgis-devel] GSoC PostGIS Raster Ideas, Implement a set of geometry to raster functions

dustymugs dustymugs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:10:57 PDT 2013

That's a good question. There aren't many generic interpolation methods
that are simple to apply to an arbitrary dataset. The most generic
(inverse distance weighting) has already been implemented. The next most
generic (kriging) could be implemented but I don't see a solid reason as
that capability and much more is accessible using PL/R.

So, interpolation should be specific to a purpose/context. I have been
thinking that we may end up with specific extensions, e.g.
postgis_lidar, postgis_elevation, postgis_hydrology.

-bborie