[postgis-devel] How to create a backend cache instead of query cache?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Apr 25 07:31:31 PDT 2013

Hi guys,

Has anyone come across any information on building caches in other contexts?

backend cache    - lifetime of backend server
connection cache - lifetime of the connection
query cache      - Got this one working

For the address standardizer, these objects are fairly stable and will
not change for a given application. In the extreme case, where the
server is providing multiple geocoders it is possible to have multiple
standardizer objects.

Regina has requested that I look for something that has a longer context
than a statement.

I suspect that there are potential issues that need to be addressed like
locking the object in the cache while it is being used, so it is not
deleted out from under you while it is in use because another thread
needs to create a new object in the slot you are using.

Thoughts on this?
Any examples you know of I could look at?

Thanks,
   -Steve