[postgis-devel] Postgis "Split" with tolerance

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 02:50:01 PST 2013

Hey Paul ,
thanks for the insight !

I've thought about this, and this is true that this may be a parameter.

We have a given number of digits (15 to 17), and some are spent on
coordinates (I'd say 10 at most), so some remain to do precise computation.
The problem is that the error we can allow (the epsilon) should depend on
this. For example, if I use 10 digits, only 5 remains, and the error should
be 5 digits.
But if use 5 digits for coordinates, I could be much more precise and allow
10 digits to error.
Maybe the (advanced) user could change this.

Here is what I propose, and what I'll enforce for my work (the analogy is
just for example):
any point/line/poly should be precise up to 10 digits (2 points could be
separated by 1000 km + 1 mm ).
Any function working on geom should give good answer on 10 digits geom.

More than this, geometry are equal except during computing (so we can use
full digits during computing ).

Remaining digits should be used to epsilon and like so as to give best
possible answers.

Please find the required test :
the sql querry should return (true,true)
1.) the first true means that on 100 000 random line and random point on
line, all line have been split in 2.
2.) the second true means that for this random lines, none was split by a
point farther than epsilon from line.
All testing are done on point/line having at most 10 digits coordinates

Please note that for 1.) I didn't check than splitting occured at the right
place, because I'm not testing split computing but chen it computes.

This is base code where you can chose number of digits in coordinates,
epsilon, number of tests to have
The random is seeded so test can be reproduced.
This could be reused to test more thoroughly other functions, and could be
improved (lines are always segments, orientation not random).

I also have a function which for a given line A and point P, gives the
closest point to P on A with a given number of digits. A bit like a
ST_SNapToGrid, but for point on line (in concept).

Cheers,
Rémi-C