[postgis-devel] WKT form(s) of MULTIPOINT

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Dec 4 10:01:44 PST 2013

Yes, hard call on changing, it would certainly break a number of folks, and the number of complaints about our screw-up is thus far minimal, probably because it got propagated to so many places. Unfortunate though.

Paul Ramsey
http://cleverelephant.ca
http://postgis.net

On December 4, 2013 at 8:59:48 AM, Even Rouault (even.rouault at mines-paris.org) wrote:

Le mercredi 04 décembre 2013 17:38:37, Mateusz Loskot a écrit :
> On 4 December 2013 16:02, Even Rouault <even.rouault at mines-paris.org> wrote:
> > Le mercredi 04 décembre 2013 16:54:58, Mateusz Loskot a écrit :
> >> Thanks for digging this out Paul.
> >>
> >> "Everyone follows the example!" is actually the answer
> >> I was looking for on ":)
> >
> > For the record OGR can import WKT in both forms ( actually support for
> > the the "bracketted form", i.e., MULTIPOINT((0 0),(1 2)) was added in
> > GDAL 1.1.8), but exports the "MULTIPOINT(0 0,1 2)" form
>
> Why not to export the correct form? Backward compat.?

Yes, and I don't remind anybody really complaining about that. If needed, we
could add exportToSQLMMWKT() methods. That would also be helpful to export Z
geometries correctly: OGR currently imports both POINT (0 1 2) and POINT Z (0
1 2), but exports POINT (0 1 2).

--
Geospatial professional services