[postgis-devel] [raster] Paths local to server

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Feb 28 12:58:44 PST 2013

Hi,

On the course of discussion about ST_AsBinary binary [1],
it's been revealed that local paths play important role as
part of public protocol and API in PostGIS Raster.

If that is true, then this is a mistake and design flaw.
The WKB format in RFC2 does not consider public API
and Sandro explained to me it does not thorough consider
out-db storage mode.
It was clear to me from the very beginning, that the isOffline flag
is for internal use only, so we can optimise parts of internal
implementation.

Existence of utility functions like ST_BandPath is not enough to
support further spread this mistake onto other, more crucial,
parts of the SQL API.

I'd just like to confirm if this 'local path' madness is going to settle
for good in PostGIS Raster API.

[1] trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/2217

Best regards,