[postgis-devel] Windows support for 9.1 and lower on PostGIS 2.1+

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sun Jul 7 18:48:29 PDT 2013

We want a show of hands how many windows users plan to be using

PostgreSQL 9.1 and lower with PostGIS 2.1+? Keep in mind that PostGIS 2.1+
requires PostgreSQL 9.0 or above so if you are running
8.4 don't bother raising your hands.

The reason we ask is with PostGIS 2.1+ we are planning to drop installer
packaging of PostgreSQL 9.1 and PostgreSQL 9.0.
We'll still be providing the 64-bit binaries for PostgreSQL 9.1,9.0 however
but plan to retire our old build chain for 32-bit (that supported 32-bit
8.4,9.0,9.1)

We are dropping installer packaging for prior versions in PostGIS 2.1
because we'll be shipping pgRouting with 2.1
 and PostGIS 2.2 will include
 pointcloud + pgRouting support for sure and most likely SFCGAL as well.

That said -- PostGIS has gotten bigger and the biggest time sink for us is
testing installers and versions, especially ones our clients don't use since
we can't offset the cost.

Keep in mind THIS IS NOT ABOUT PostGIS 2.0.  PostGIS 2.0 we'll still be
providing installers and micro version upgrades for all PostgreSQL versions
we started supporting in those PostGIS minors (e.g. PostGIS 2.0
8.4,9.0,9.1,9.2 users will still get micro releases for 2.0 via stack
builder)

Thanks,
Regina and Leo
http://www.postgis.us