[postgis-devel] VOTE: TWKB in PostGIS, what do you think?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sun Jun 16 18:44:37 PDT 2013

Nicklas,

If everyone is okay with just accepting your TWKB when we branch 2.2 I'm not
even sure its worth the effort gong thru the hassle of making it an
extension.

To me your TWKB falls in boat with raster/sfcgal (but really more with the
other input/output functions).  While it may make sense to make it an
extension, it makes even less sense as an extension (compared to
raster/sfcgal) because you are not adding
Any additional dependencies, AND you will need to be in line with liblwgeom,
and you've only got a couple of functions.

pgRouting doesn't even rely on compiling against any PostGIS headers and
just uses the PostGIS public SQL api so its not a model for you unless you
want to rewrite everything to be less efficient.

We are as Bborie said probably a year away from releasing 2.2 at the rate
that we move, so if you put it in 2.2. and for some reason we need to take
it out before release, no big whoop.

+1 from me for just treating it as part of core.

Anyone else have an opinion.

Thanks,
Regina