[postgis-devel] EXTENSION upgrades

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Oct 8 02:52:25 PDT 2013

Am I right that in order to do a "minor upgrade" with EXTENSION
mechanism you need to have an explicit <oldversion>-<newversion>
path from the old to the new version ?

How can this ever happen if stable branches are kept ?
I mean, if we release a version 2.0.5, who's going to be ever
producing a 2.0.5-2.1.0 file ?

Doesn't sound like a sustainable way to manage upgrades,
or what am I missing ?

Do we need to extend the extension mechanism to deal with this
kind of problems with a postgis_upgrade stored procedure of
some sort ? How could that work ?

Or are we maybe doing it wrong to include micro version into
the extension files ?

--strk;

 http://www.cartodb.com - Map, analyze and build applications with your data

                                       ~~ http://strk.keybit.net