[postgis-devel] ST_Union() performance problem (with possiblefunding)

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Oct 16 20:46:43 PDT 2013

These tend to assume each operation is constrained to a single cell, hence parallelizable, hence undertaking an operation on multiple cells concurrently.

While I'm dealing with many cells - they are all being merged into a single multipolygon feature. I can't load two cells into the same multipolygon at the same time - two writes to the same record - so can't run concurrently.

What may be possible is to perhaps run multiple processes on subsets to create intermediate (larger) merged polygons which can then be merged themselves to create the final single feature.

This would probably allow better use of resources on a multi core system... at present I'm using 1.7% of memory on a 100% cpu process, so I'll look into this approach - 8 cores running concurrently giving giving close to 8x faster is useful.

Brent