[postgis-devel] [topology] missing = operator for topogeometry

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Oct 23 05:13:06 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:51:32AM +0200, RĂ©mi Cura wrote:

> I can't find any = operator for topogeometry, is it fine if I add it?
> (plain simple, no family )

The idea for TopoGeometry object was to be possibly used transparently
like a Geometry object. This means that an equality operator should ideally
behave the same as it behaves for Geometry.

The Geometry = Geometry case may possibly be an exception in that what it
does is really counter-intuitive. It's a bounding box comparison. Mostly
implemented to avoid things like UNION (rather than UNION ALL) to be quick.

You may argue that Geometry = Geometry should be spatial equality, but
also in that case a TopoGeometry = TopoGeometry would not give you that
same semantic.

What about a == operator ?