[postgis-devel] What is the correct way to remove a sql-signature

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Sep 2 05:26:00 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 01:23:30PM +0200, Nicklas Avén wrote:
> Hallo
>

> TWKB has changed to VarInts instead of my homebrewed compression method.
> Then the byte order is defined n the VarInt concept so I have removed the option to decide byteorder of input.
>

> But when I remove the sql-signatures with endianess option from postgis.sql.in and rerun configure I get into problems with comment.sql missing those functions.

Are you saying that "./configure" complains ?
Can you paste the exact error message ?

> What is the right way to do this?
>

> Is it just a question of triggering a new version of comment.sql or do I have to do some further changes?

Regenerating comment.sql ( should be done by "make" ) should fix the
problem, but if you remove a signature you should also put it into the
postgis_drop_before.sql ( or postgis_drop_after.sql ) file for proper
upgrading procedure.

Changing signatures is always expensive, better to think a lot
before adding any.