[postgis-devel] breaking changes in varInt code and twkb

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Fri Aug 22 15:03:11 PDT 2014

Sandro

in r12907 I did the switch to passing around **buf instead of *buf in
twkb and varint. That affects all the varInt types. I don't think you
have committed any code relying on varInt yet though. Right?

I couldn't see any performance difference, but it gets a little cleaner
and is the first step to clean up more in all the values thrown around
in the twkb code.

In the same commit I also added an option for including the twkb-size.
That breaks any twkb clients out ther. But I suspect I rule all of them
so far so it shuldn't be a big problem.

The sizes is an interesting option because it makes it possible to scan
large files by jumping from geometry to geometry without actually
decoding them.

In that way the deoding can be distributed to many threads.
I have done some testing with ditributing the decoding to some
webworkers and it seems to work great.

More to come :-)

/Nicklas