[postgis-devel] Bug fixes in trunk NEWS

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Aug 27 04:20:12 PDT 2014

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> Do bugfixes really belong in the NEWS file for trunk ?
> As trunk is bound to next minor version, being a feature release,
> shouldn't it only contain new features and enhancements instead ?
>
> The rationale for that is that any bugfix should end up in a
> bugfix release of the previous version, like in our case all
> bugfixes would be in 2.1.4.
>
> Or are we duplicating bugfix notices in both places ?

NEWS is supposed to be for changes that a user would care about.  So
bugfixes are generally not notable, unless they are for something so
serious that results would have been wrong before, or some workaround
can be stopped.

As for previous branches, it's an interesting question which version
NEWS is relative to.  It's a fair policy that NEWS on trunk is relative
to the most recent release of the current stable branch.  Which means
that items added to 2.x.y on the 2.x branch should also be added to NEWS
on trunk under 2.x (as part of the merge/backport), so that NEWS on
2.x+1.0 looks like 2.x.y's NEWS plus the 2.x+1.0 entry (with nothing
missing).