[postgis-devel] Death to PGXS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Dec 4 13:20:45 PST 2014

I’m somewhat at a loss as to what PGXS is buying us anymore. We can get all the proper install locations and paths and so on directly from pg_config. Using PGXS means we inherit from the PostgreSQL build sometimes complete annoying build stuff, like flags we don’t want (or lack of flags we *do* want, like say debugging or profiling flags).

More terribly, I found a postgresql93 package on freebsd that was compiled in an environment apparently without perl, so PGXS defines $(PERL) as "/bin/sh /usr/local/lib/postgresql/pgxs/src/makefiles/../../config/missing”, which doesn’t really help our build at all.

Similarly, and also terribly, I found the postgresql package on Solaris from OpenCSW is built with $(CC) defined as "/opt/solarisstudion/bin/cc” or somesuch, suffice to say it was a compiler I did not have ready access to without going through a big manual register, donate kidney, install process.

Why can’t we drop PGXS and start controlling our own build/install destiny again? As long as we listen carefully to what pg_config is telling us, it should all work fine, no?

P.

--
Paul Ramsey
http://cleverelephant.ca